HBS Working Knowledge: Entrepreneurship: Six Keys to Building New Markets by Unleashing Disruptive Innovation Clayton Christensen and his co-authors take a look at how to create new-growth businesses that last after the initial innovation spurt has passed. He comes up with 6 "lessons":
1) Disruptive Innovations Spur Growth
2) Disruptive businesses either create new markets or take the low end of an established market
3) Disruptive Opportunities require a seperate business-planning process
4) Don't try to change your customers—help them.
5) Integrate across whatever is not good enough
6) Be patient for growth but impatient for profitability.
Although the article pushes his book "The Innovator's Dilemma" a fair bit - this is still an interesting read for those of you dealing with emerging markets/businesses.